It is the passage of firm or hard pellet like stools at infrequent and long intervals with difficulty to expel. It is defined by medical experts as a decreased number of bowel movements per week, specifically less than 3 bowel movements per week.
Chronic constipation may lead to the development of hemorrhoids, anal fissures, faecal impaction and rectal prolapse which is why it should be treated as soon as the first symptom appears.
Tips to Manage Constipation:
- Exercise on most days of the week
- Don’t ignore the urge to poop
- Avoid refined food products
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet
- Try warm liquids especially in the morning
In many cases you can prevent constipation be eating a well balanced diet with plenty of fibre, drinking lot of fluids, avoiding caffeine etc. Dairy products can constipate some people, so it is suggested to cut back on milk if this is the case with you.